Wednesday 23 May 2012

Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band- One of my Kind

So Conor Oberst is back, I suppose having left his Bright Eyes days behind.  You know what? I'll confess that I have never been a fan of his brand of self-obsessed, don't-want to-get-old, emo/indie music but I decided to give the first single One of My Kind a listen. Apparently there is also a DVD to go along with this album.  

I have to say that there is something very listenable about this song, I might even add it to my current playlist. But there's also something standard about this 'homecoming' song and I can think of a lot of less arrogant artists who did it better. Look at this lyric: 


Well, I got the blueprint
To create my own myth
That's what made it tragic
Like a summer snowdrift

I'm not sure what it is exactly that I don't like about this. There's just something irritating about coming home and claiming that you know what everyone's lives are like. Maybe I am getting old but I'd rather just listen to something catchy then something pretentious about snowdrifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment